Overgrown walkways pose safety issues

November 11, 2016

Overgrown walkways pose safety issues

A Papakura resident is angry nothing has been done. Photo: Michelle Prendiville

Overgrown hedges in Auckland walkways are a risk to pedestrians, says an elderly Papakura resident.

Eric Barlow had his arm sliced by an overgrown thorn bush while attempting to pin back the overhanging branch.

The 75-year-old said it is a security issue for residents using the path to access Great South Rd.

“Predators can just wait in the overgrown bush, making anyone using the path open prey,” he said.

Auckland Transport’s website says it “is responsible for the maintenance of streets, footpaths, and grass verges or berms, so that both traffic and pedestrians can move around safely”.

However, Manurewa-Papakura Ward Councillor Calum Penrose said Auckland Transport is “under delivering” with the maintenance of road reserves and walkways.

“There’s too much confusion, locals think it’s a council matter but the responsibility is with Auckland Transport,” he said.

Auckland Council has received a number of complaints regarding overgrown vegetation compromising public safety.

“So far it hasn’t been done effectively and efficiently, it’s been messy, untidy and there’s too many unhappy ratepayers, “ he said.

Mr Penrose said council is in the process of taking back that responsibility from Auckland Transport.

Mr Barlow called Auckland Transport’s help centre about the overgrown bush in the walkway linking McCall Place and Great South Rd.

After he saw no action taken, he contacted his local MP and three months later the trees were trimmed but are now back to being overgrown.

Mr Penrose said this is not the only walkway across the region that he gets calls about.

“People want to see where their rates are going and that means well-lit footpaths, grass mowed, and feeling safe,” he said.

Mr Penrose hopes that a change in responsibility for walkways to be finalised within the next six months.

Te Waha Nui contacted Auckland Transport media manager Mark Hannan for a response but he declined to be interviewed for this story.

Related Stories

Frustration over Auckland Council’s plans to charge for park-and-ride

Frustration over Auckland Council’s plans to charge for park-and-ride

Tiana Thorpe March 20, 2024

Fears northern pathway will damage precious native bush

Fears northern pathway will damage precious native bush

Lucy Xia June 15, 2020

Temporary fixes to central-city roads not holding up

Temporary fixes to central-city roads not holding up

Nick Forrester August 26, 2019

Moko Kanohi reclaimed by new generations

Moko Kanohi reclaimed by new generations

Crystal Gale May 20, 2026

 Northcote redeveopment nears construction stage but uncertainty exists over timeline

Northcote redeveopment nears construction stage but uncertainty exists over timeline

James Holton May 20, 2026

As unemployment rises, more students turn to start-ups

As unemployment rises, more students turn to start-ups

Regan Harrison May 20, 2026